Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lessons from Leeland

Leeland isn't quite crawling yet but he is definitely getting more and more mobile. He can scoot, roll, twirl, and even inch like an inch worm. If there is something, he wants, he will find a way to get to it!

It seems that the thing Leeland always has his eye on is whatever is farthest away, whatever is hardest to get. He works and he works to get there, with lots of grunting, falling, twisting, and scooching, and finally gets the prize! His block, or the flight charts, or the xbox cord, or the cell phone, or whatever his target was that day. But you know what he does? He picks it up, puts it in his mouth for a bit, then throws it down, looking for the next big thing.

It seems that the object seems so alluring but once he gets it, it doesn't satisfy. And sometimes is not even good for him, like dog food:

I realized that it may seem silly to watch a seven and a half month old do these things, but all of us still do this even when we're grown up! We are never satisfied and are always looking for the next big thing. We work and work to obtain things that we think will make us happy, but once we get them, we learn it was all in vain because again, we are unsatisfied and want something else. Just like Leeland, we pick it up, play with it for a second, then throw it down, looking for the next big thing.

I was thinking about this and was reminded of Philippians 3:12-14:
"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

[I think God really wants me to get this in my head because I was thinking about this last week and then our Sunday School lesson was on Philippians 3 this week! Ok, God, I'm listening. I get the point... :)]

Let's get a little personal with this. What things do I try to satisfy myself with?
I eat unhealthy food because it tastes good. But does this really satisfy? It may taste good for a moment, (what? like 30 seconds...) but then it leaves a lasting impression on my body. I feel gross and fat afterwards. Eh, not so satisfying.
I buy new clothes to make me feel good about myself. But does this really satisfy? The clothes may be nice for a while. But then they go out of style or out of season. Leeland spits up on them. They get old and faded. Eh, not so satisfying.
I'm tired so I sit on the couch and watch tv for hours. But does this really satisfy? It may get my mind off things for a while and my body gets a rest. But then I turn the tv off, realize I've wasted hours of my day and I STILL have things to get done. And really, the things on tv these days aren't really 'good' most of the time so I've just filled my mind with garbage. Eh, not so satisfying.

Instead of straining toward the things of this world that will not satisfy, I will keep my eye on the prize! There is only one thing that will satisfy and that is Jesus.
When I am hungry, I will remember that my body is a temple of God. If I am feeling emotional, instead of eating chocolate to "feel better," I will pray and ask God to fulfill me.
When I am not feeling good about myself, instead of buying new clothes, I will be thankful for what I have. I will read Psalm 139, and remember that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
If I am tired, I will rest in the Lord. I will look to him for strength to take care of the things that need to be done. Instead of filling my mind with garbage, I will fill my mind with His Word.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think my son is about to chew on the dog's bone.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. It hit so many points right on the head. Thanks Maegan!

    ReplyDelete