Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Change in Perspective- See Yourself the Way Jesus Sees You

In part 2 of my "A Change in Perspective" series, we talked about seeing others the way Jesus sees them. Although that can sometimes be hard to do, I think it is way easier than today's post- seeing yourself the way Jesus sees you.

You know those times when something just hits you? The door is opened, the lightbulb comes on, God speaks and you sit there with your eyes wide open and say, "Woah. I never thought of that before." I had one of those moments when I realized this. I dove into my old journals to see if I could find what I wrote when I first came to this realization. But it seems that journal entry is lost or in journal Heaven somewhere. Let me just tell you how this all came about.

I was daily meditating on Philippians 2:3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." I tried so hard to view every person I interacted with as better than me. I was always looking outward, trying to serve others. I wanted to see everyone as a child of God that He was madly in love with.

But then I would look at myself. Inadequate. Not pretty enough. Not smart enough. I'll never measure up. And the list could go on and on...

And one day, I felt like God just looked me in the eyes and said, "Meagan, that is not who you are. That is not the way I made you. If only you could see what I see. You are my child and I am madly in love with you." This is that moment where I just sat there in shock. For the first time, I dropped my walls of insecurity and I let that truth sink in.

I still struggle with self-image and self esteem issues. I know I am not alone in this- I think this is something the enemy likes to use to attack women, because he knows it will get us every time. But God has given us beautiful nuggets of truth in His Word. Psalm 139:14 "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

This verse is often quoted but I don't think we actually listen to what it is saying, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;..."

Not only are we wonderfully made, but we have a Heavenly Father who is madly in love with us. 1 John 3:1a "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!"

So today, let's choose to live in the truth of God's Word. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. We are children of God and He is madly in love with us. I am reminded of some words from David Crower's "Everything Glorious":
"You make everything glorious. And I am Yours. What does that make me?"
Let me answer that question for you... Glorious!


As a little side note...
A few weeks ago, I discovered the She Speaks Conference. The conference is for writers and speakers and it is about connecting the hearts of women to the heart of God. My heart is to serve God by serving and encouraging women so when I first heard about this conference, I SO wanted to go but decided we didn't have the money for it this year. You can imagine my delight when I read about this scholarship opportunity. Check it out! I know many of you might be interested in this as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment